Here are the common FAQs Quintessential Medicine Tutors have kindly compiled for our Pre-U students 🙂
- Top UK schools
- Deferrment policy
- Essay Practice
- Interview practice
- Submission help
- Matriculation Tip
- 15 October, 18:00 (UK time)– any course at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge, or for most courses in medicine, veterinary medicine/science and dentistry
- Only four medical schools out of five choices
- Oxford or Cambridge, cannot choose both
Top UK schools
There is only one non UKCAT non BMAT school left in UK as of 2015/2016
- If you decide to delay your studies you can still apply now and defer your start date by a year.
- This way you can get your results confirmed and hopefully receive an unconditional offer for the following year.
- If you’re applying for deferred entry in 2016 you need to meet offer conditions by 31 August 2015.
- 2-hour, pen-and-paper test divided into 3 sections
- Aptitude and Skills (Generic skills in problem solving, understanding arguments, and data analysis and inference. (35MCQ, 60mins)
- Scientific Knowledge and Applications (The ability to apply scientific knowledge typically covered in school Science and Mathematics by the age of 16 (27 MCQ,30min)
- Section 3: Writing Task (The ability to select, develop and organise ideas, and to communicate them in writing, concisely and effectively. 1 essay, 30min )
- Registration deadline 15 Oct Test date 4 Nov, results release 25 nov, no carryover of results
- How to study: BMAT website, official guide
- Test period: 1st July to 6 Oct, test dates are weekly, result released on the spot
- Verbal Reasoning (-Assesses ability to critically evaluate information that is presented in a written form (44MCQ-22m)
- Quantitative Reasoning (Assesses ability to critically evaluate information presented in a numerical form 36MCQ, 25m)
- Abstract Reasoning (Assesses the use of convergent and divergent thinking to infer relationships from information, 55MCQ, 14m)
- Decision Analysis (Assesses the ability to make sound decisions and judgements using complex information, 28mcq, 32m)
- Situational Judgement (Measures capacity to understand real world situations and to identify critical factors and appropriate behaviour in dealing with them, 68MCQ, 27min)
- How to study: UKCAT website, Kaplan
Difference between BMAT and UKCAT
- BMAT is more sciencey, aptitude
- UKCAT is more medical, wide range of academic, ethics, situational judgement
- The BMAT as well as UKCAT are taken only once every year; you can’t retake it after you’ve taken if for an application cycle. If you are applying again the following year (e.g. you didn’t get in), then you will need to retake them. The scores are only valid for a single application cycle
- all results under your name are sent to the universities automatically by the exam provider.
- 4,000 character and 47 line limits
- Copycatch Similarity Detection system – make sure your personal statement is all your own work. Don’t copy from anyone else or from the internet and don’t share your personal statement with other applicants.
- Very important, only 1 is needed
- Generally includes predicted grades, any obstacles they’ve had to face, and their potential and motivation,
- Why they’re suited to their chosen subject and career path, plus their attitude, motivation and commitment.
- Skills and qualities like aptitude and enthusiasm, plus current or past achievements that will help with their chosen subject area.
- Achievements, work experience, and extracurricular activities that relate to their chosen course(s).
- Any factors/personal circumstances that might affect their performance (consent must be gained first to mention health or disabilities).
Get an expert to vet and handle your submission. Don’t risk it.
- Why do interviews go badly:
- It said “ I had little evidence of caring work experience” “didn’t seem to understand the course” and “struggled to explain what I learnt from work experience”. Yes, my interview went pretty badly.
- More prestigious schools tend to ask more complex basic science questions also
- Moral of story is you really need to practice being sharp at interviews!
- Students have been known to save up their leave to enable them to start school on 2nd year of NS (e.g: graduate 2015, start school 2017)
- Matriculation period is early-mid October